Tuesday, September 30, 2014

 

Triumphant was the way she felt

Still working on a decent visualization model for mountains. I have to ditch all the previous visualization techniques I have used so far, they don't look good. I tried various semi-random placement of tiles, but they all look ugly because of the overlapping geometries. If I leave void spaces it looks even uglier, the only good results are with lots of highly overlapping tiles, but this means to waste a ton of cpu cycles and memory.
I'm now studying a way to modify in real time a prefabricated height map, if I can create valleys in realtime I can blend a premade model with a road which is placed by the game editor. It's a bit crazy as idea but it should yield the best result. I have to read every single pixel of an image, calculate a dampened rgb value based on the presence of a road, and then produce a new heightmap which is then used to create a 3d elevation geometry. It should work for reasonably small textures, and in any case it doesn't have to be a "real realtime", the modification would be called just once, maybe it will take a second or two to calculate but then the 3d model would not have to be calculated again unless a road is moved elsewhere in the editor.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?